Each individual category or tag is called a term. Categories and tags are under the surface based on the same taxonomy system within WordPress, though there are some notable differences in implementation and usage.
Categories can be hierarchical, which means you can put categories inside categories, like a tree or fractal. This allows you to have a primary category, such as Paintings, and then a subcategory such as Acrylic. Then when viewing the Paintings category, all of the Acrylic as well as other paintings will be listed. Categories are good for creating organizational structure in which to browse your content.
Tags on the other hand are non-hierarchical, and can not be nested inside of each other. Tags work well for tagging things according to search terms, such as cat or forest, so if a viewer wants to see all of your work with cats in it, they can simply visit the cat tag page. Though it’s unlikely that you would have a category called Cats.
Creating and Managing Categories
- In the WordPress administrative dashboard, on the left panel, go to Posts > Categories
- Here you can create and manage Categories.
Creating and Managing Tags
- In the WordPress administrative dashboard, on the left panel, go to Posts > Tags
- Here you can create and manage Tags.
How to List Categories and Tags
ArtDroid utilizes the recently implemented taxonomy meta functionality in WordPress, to allow you to add a custom image and icon to terms. In order to customize individual terms:
- After creating a term, visit the term page which lists the posts inside a term (ie. yourwebsite.com/category/paintings), and press the Edit Category or Edit Tag in the top admin bar, this will bring you to the term editing page. Another way is to go to the category or tag managing page in the admin under Posts > Categories or Posts > Tags, and then click on the term you would like to edit.
- Once editing the term, scroll down and locate the Icon, Primary Image and Secondary Image fields, which are unique to ArtDroid.
- After editing these fields, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Update and your changes will be saved. You can then view the term page to see your changes.